This woman’s face got burnt after her headphones exploded mid-flight

Headphone Explosion

An Australian woman on a flight from Beijing to Melbourne was recently woken up from her peaceful slumber courtesy an explosion which burned her face. Given the disaster that was the Galaxy Note 7, you might assume that her phone burst into flames. However, this wasn’t the case at all, since it was her headphones that caught fire.

Headphones aren’t usually very high on the list of things that could potentially burn up your face, but these particular ones were fueled by batteries. This ups the stakes considerably. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) is refusing to name the brand behind the accessories, stating that the batteries were at fault, not the device itself.

As per the ATSB, the Australian woman in question was listening to music during her flight when she heard a loud explosion. She immediately felt a burning sensation on her face and threw her headphones on the floor. It was apparently sparking and spitting out small amounts of fire.

Flight attendants seemingly rushed over with a bucket of water to quell the flames. The battery and cover had both melted at this point and were stuck to the floor of the plane. The air was so thick with the smell of liquefied plastic, burnt hair, and scorched electronics that people were coughing and choking for the rest of the journey.

The grim pictures accompanying the ATSB report showcase the Australian women’s face covered in black soot. The explosion also caused blisters to erupt on her hands. The authority is now advising travelers to make sure to keep spare batteries in their carry-on baggage and in approved stowage unless it’s in use.