The last few years have seen mobile gaming increasing in popularity all over the world. Readily accessible smartphones, high-speed Internet and improvements in technology now mean that mobile gaming is beginning to overtake console and PC gaming, giving players more freedom over how and when they play.
Mobile gaming is currently one of the fastest-growing industries in India, where three out of four people now play mobile games at least twice per day. According to statistics, India is now among the five biggest mobile gaming industries in the world and is growing at a rapid pace. In 2020, the mobile gaming industry in India reached a valuation of $2.4 billion, a big increase from just $600 million back in 2017.
Mobile Gamers in India
Many mobile gamers tend to spend time playing a mix of standard video games, app-based titles and casino games. A growing number of mobile users are downloading online casino apps and gambling with real money while playing on the go. When it comes to gambling online, players in India seem to prefer the thrills of a live casino – a sub-segment in an online casino where multiple players can bet at the same time from their own devices while in the presence of a live dealer.
Mobile gamers in India typically spend at least an hour at a time playing games. Popular categories include casino games, racing, puzzle games, adventure games and online multiplayer games. There’s a constant demand for new and interesting mobile games. It has become such a big phenomenon lately, that India’s Ministry of Information and Broadcasting recently joined hands with IIT Bombay to form a Center of Excellence in gaming and related areas.
The total weekly time playing mobile games is now at an average of 7 hours per week for Indians. Although a large number of these mobile gamers are playing free games, there’s a growing number of players who also pay to download apps or pay for in-app purchases in freemium games. Companies are increasingly becoming interested in this potentially lucrative market, meaning higher quality games and more interest from players.
Why is Mobile Gaming Now So Popular in India?
There are lots of different reasons why mobile gaming is so popular in India, but some of the main reasons include:
- Better availability of phones – In India, Internet users typically use phones more than any other type of device. Mobile phones are more readily available, cheaper and easier to use than desktop computers. As they’re the primary way many Indians access the Internet, it makes sense that it’s also the device of choice on which to play games.
- It’s cheaper to play on mobile – Mobile games tend to be a lot cheaper than console and PC games. There are lots of free-to-play mobile games, and while some have in-app purchases, they’re not required for you to play and enjoy the game.
- Mobile gaming quality is improving – Because of the growing interest in mobile games and new revenue models, the quality of these games has improved drastically in recent years. Enhancements in smartphone technology are also a big reason why modern mobile games can have great quality graphics and run smoothly.
- Cellular data is cheap and offers fast speeds – India enjoys ready availability of cheap, high-speed data networks. This means that Indians can download and play games online from anywhere and at any time.
- Growing national income – National income rates are increasing across the country as the economy continues to develop. As people earn more, they have more disposable income to spend on mobile games and better phones.
- More control over when and where you play – Unlike a desktop computer, you can take your handset with you wherever you go, allowing you to play your favorite games whenever you want.