Here is a report that will keep you off technology for good. Concerned doctors from British Association of Dermatologists have discovered a new phenomenon of “mobile phone dermatitis”.
No, your mobile phones don’t get rashes, but it is found that people who are perpetually stuck to their phones have the risk of developing allergic reactions owing to the nickel surface cell phones have.
The dermatologists have issued warning to the doctors to identify allergic reactions. The allergy is being recognized owing to the large number of cases that are being reported lately.
Dr Graham Lowe, from the British Association of Dermatologists, said, “The allergy results from frequent skin contact with nickel-containing objects. Prolonged or repetitive contact with a nickel-containing phone is more likely to cause a skin reaction in those who are allergic. If you have had a previous reaction to a nickel-coated belt-buckle or jewellery, for example, you are at greater risk of reacting to metal phones.”
The reaction consists of rashes on cheeks or ear, depending on part of the face the metal phone is in regular touch.
Apparently, the researchers studied 22 popular handsets from eight popular brands and they found 10 of these phones to be carrying nickel on them. The culprits are especially the phones with decorative metallic logos and menu buttons and incorporating in them more of metallic accents.
“Given the widespread use of cell phones, the presence of metal in the exterior casing of these phones and the high prevalence of nickel sensitization in the population, it is not surprising that cell phones can cause allergic contact dermatitis,” said Dr Lionel Bercovitch, one of the study’s authors from Brown University, Rhode Island.
Doctors have advised people continuously using phones and who face rashes to consult their doctors for examination and cure.