Samsung chief says Galaxy S8 won’t be launched at MWC 2017

Just a short while after revealing the true cause behind the Galaxy Note 7 catastrophe, Samsung has also dished out an interesting tidbit about its next flagship. The Galaxy S8 reportedly won’t be making its debut at the MWC 2017.

This is an interesting change of pace, since Samsung traditionally holds a huge pre-MWC event a day before the occasion kicks off to unveil its latest Galaxy S handset. Word on the street this year was that the brand was only going to showcase the handset to reporters at the event and launch it to the public on March 29.

Samsung mobile chief Koh Dong-jin has now told Reuters that the Galaxy S8 will not be a part of the MWC this year. Sadly, he didn’t confirm when the phone would be coming out. In any case, the fact that it’s not making an appearance at the trade show suggests that it’ll be revealed later in the year than its previous variants.

Also Read: Samsung confirms faulty batteries behind Galaxy Note 7 explosions

Several case maker-sourced renders of the Galaxy S8 have emerged in recent weeks. Based on the evidence so far, the smartphone is likely getting a radical makeover complete with an almost bezel-less look, rounded display corners, and no home button for both regular and Plus variants.

Samsung might even bless it with an iris scanner, a hallmark of the dearly departed Galaxy Note 7. The company may release its next flagship in late April at significantly higher prices.