On Monday, Apple unveiled the 17-inch MacBook Pro, which is the second model in its high-end Intel-based notebook range. The system includes a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor.
All features have the screen size, which is identical to the 15-inch model, including a built in iSight camera, iLife ’06, Front Row, and MagSafe power adapter. Apple said that the laptop itself is one inch thin, and weighs 6.8 pounds.
Compared to PowerBook G4, the memory of the 17-inch MacBook Pro is twice as better and the speed is five times faster. Apple’s marketing vice president Philip Schiller said, “The 17-inch MacBook Pro delivers the speed and screen area of a professional desktop system in the world’s best notebook design.”
Apple claims that apart from being larger in size, the new display of the MacBook Pro is 36 percent brighter than its forerunner. Other features include 1GB of RAM, a 120GB hard drive, an 8x SuperDrive, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics card, and DVI-out.
The latest version of Mac OS X, version 10.4.6, would also be included. Apple has slated the shipping of the 17-inch MacBook Pro within the next week for a suggested retail price of US$2,799.
The 17-inch MacBook Pro includes:
• 17-inch widescreen 1680 x 1050 LCD display with 300 cd/m2 brightness;
• 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor;
• 1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 2GB;
• 120GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;
• a slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) optical drive;
• PCI Express-based ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory;
• DVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video out adapter sold separately);
• built-in Dual Link support for driving Apple 30-inch Cinema HD Display;
• built-in iSight video camera;
• Gigabit Ethernet port;
• built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;
• ExpressCard/34 expansion card slot;
• three USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port, and one FireWire 400 port;
• one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;
• Scrolling TrackPad and illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor;
• the infrared Apple Remote;
• 68 watt hour lithium polymer battery; and
• 85 watt Apple MagSafe Power Adapter.
Additional build-to-order options for the 17-inch MacBook Pro include 100GB (7200 rpm) hard drive, up to 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, Apple USB Modem, and the AppleCare Protection Plan.