NVIDIA Corporation announces the GoForce 5500 handheld graphics processing unit (GPU).
The NVIDIA GoForce 5500 will be the graphic industry’s first handheld GPU to enable true, fluid digital TV, rapid multi-shot photography, high-fidelity surround sound and console-class 3D graphics.
NVIDIA GoForce 5500 include features like playback of H.264, WMV9 and MPEG-4 video up to D1 resolution at 30fps, console-class 3D gaming, surround sound and support of up to 10 mega-pixel resolution image resolution.
High Fidelity Surround Sound
- The industry’s first handheld surround sound processor to deliver an immersive audio experience in the palm of a hand
- Crossfade and multistream technologies help to prevent annoying breaks between songs and music cut out when the ringtone is activated
Console-class 3D gaming
- Experience console-class games, such as Quake III Arena, at unrivalled speeds on a handheld device
- 3X the performance of the previous generation2
Sharp, crystal clear digital photography
- Rapid multi-shot capabilities so users never miss a photo
- Support for up to 10 megapixel resolution
Ultra-low power consumption
- Dedicated low-power hardware design delivers more hours of entertainment on the phone with less drain on the talk time
Mobile phones based on the NVIDIA GoForce 5500 handheld GPU are projected to be available from key handset manufacturers before the 2006 holiday season.
NVIDIA Corporation will partner with DiBcom to develop a DVB-H reference design for mobile handset TV platforms.