Stumbling into a ‘Discord screen share no audio’ issue is a common occurrence when using this platform even in 2021. The makers themselves have introduced several patches to fix it, but it just seems to pop up every now and then for some reason.
But fret not; this particular guide will take you through a step-by-step process of troubleshooting and finding out what the culprit behind your Discord screen share no audio problem is. Discord screen share was introduced as a feature a long time ago. Gamers were the first to exploit it for sharing their gameplay streams.
However, when the pandemic hit, Discord gained popularity among other users as a free Zoom alternative. Nevertheless, it was still complicated to navigate the Discord screen share no audio issues. Let us show you how you can get over them.
Discord screen share audio not working issue
A year ago, Discord itself put up a guide for people experiencing the screen share no audio error.
It revealed that the problem was caused by some changes that were introduced to Google Chrome’s audio infrastructure. Although a set of patches was released, Discord said that those experiencing the no sound issue even after the latest update can try the following methods.
End the screen share session and refresh the app with Ctrl + R
Shut down Google Chrome and reopen it. Once open, start to play audio in the browser before launching a screen share session.
Enable screen share with your preferred video settings and try once more.
What are the other solutions?
If that doesn’t work, there are a few other solutions to look at.
These can be different for different users, based on the kind of machine they are using, or the kind of settings they have maintained on it.
Be sure to update Discord
First and foremost, you need to make sure that you are running Discord in its latest version.
As we said, the makers have already issued several fixes to solve the Discord audio problems and they won’t work if your application is reeling on old versions.
To update the app to its latest version, you need to follow these steps.
- Launch Discord.
2. Find the Discord icon in your system tray.
3. Right-click on it and select ‘Check for updates.’
4. With that done, try out the steps right below.
Fix 1: Add the program in question to your Game Activity
- Launch the app and head into the user settings or user preferences menu.
2. There, click on ‘Game Activity.’
3. On the window that appears, click on click ‘Add it!’ 4. Now use the subsequent search bar to find the programs you are having the screen share audio issue with, add them, and save user preferences.
5. Exit the Discord app, start it again and try the screen sharing mode.
Fix 2: Restart your computer
Reboots often fix the most annoying of issues, so this is quite an important solution to try out.
Once you’ve restarted, relaunch the app and try if the screen sharing mode works.
Fix 3: Grant administrative access
Your operating system might be responsible for blocking access to some features if you don’t have administrative access.
In order to fix Discord screen sharing no audio problem, you can try launching the program with administrative access.
Doing this is as simple as right-clicking on the Discord icon on your desktop and selecting ‘Run as administrator.’
A confirmation prompt will appear next and all you have to do is agree with it and the screen sharing no sound problem might just get solved after you grant administrative access.
Fix 4: Change Discord audio settings
- Open the user settings menu.
2. Select Voice & Video.
3. This is where you’ll find an input volume slider. You need to make sure that it’s not on the lower side.
4. If the problem still persists, then follow the first three steps again and select the ‘Push to Talk’ mode. This mode allows you to manually toggle a button in screen share mode before it can transmit sound. By default, the Discord screen sharing mode automatically recognizes audio inputs from your microphone or sounds from the apps you’re sharing. This solution will definitely work when the program is having trouble recognizing sound module automatically.
5. And if none of these solutions work, just scroll to the bottom and hit the ‘Reset to Default’ button to bring things back to normal and move on to another method.
Fix 5: Check computer audio and voice settings
If you’re still getting Discord’s screen share no audio problem, chances are that there are issues with the audio and voice settings in your computer.
If you have too many devices tethered, their connections are usually not configured properly. There are two things that you should check to solve the audio problems.
The first is to see if Discord is allowed proper access in microphone settings and the second is checking whether the correct recording input/sound hardware device is selected.
Let us look at the microphone side of things first.
- Press Windows + S and type ‘Microphone privacy settings’ in the dialogue box that appears in order to open the settings menu.
2. There, make sure that the ‘Allow apps to access your microphone’ option is turned on.
3. In the same menu, you will also spot a list of all the applications that have access to your microphone. Make sure that Discord is selected here.
4. Save changes and start the app again to see if the audio issue in screen sharing has been solved.
And now for enabling the correct recording device:
- In the taskbar, right-click on the sounds icon and select ‘Sounds.’
2. Head into the ‘Recording’ tab and select the correct recording device. In case a wrong one is selected, right-click on the right one and click Enable to set it as the default device.
3. Save changes, restart your computer, and see if the screen share no sound issue has been solved.
Fix 6: Update audio driver
Bad audio drivers often crop up on Windows or don’t get updated regularly.
It’s hence advised that you try out updating your faulty audio drivers in case you’re encountering the Discord screen share no audio problem.
When you’re screen sharing, both your speaker and microphone are at work, so these two audio drivers need to be installed in their latest forms to solve the sound error and finally be able to hear sound.
You can ensure that with the following method.
1. Head to your Windows search bar and type Device Manager to open it.
2. Once inside Device Manager, expand the ‘Sound, video, and game controllers’ option This will bring up a list of all associated audio hardware available.
3. On all the options underneath, just right-click and select ‘Update Driver.’
4. In the following menu, select the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ option.
5. Once all the drivers are updated, just restart the system.
Fix 7: Clear Discord cache
The more you use Discord for screen sharing or for any other purposes, for that matter, the more cache is created in your system.
This helps the computer optimize its resources to run the program smoothly.
However, this constant creation of temporary files in the Discord folder could also lead to corrupt areas in your data, eventually leading to the screen share no audio problem.
You can clear the temporary files using the following steps:
- Make sure that Discord is closed, then press Windows + R to bring up the Run window.
2. Here, you will need to type %appdata% and hit Enter. 3. In the subsequent window, find the Discord folder, right-click on it, and hit ‘Delete’ to wipe out the temporary Discord files.
You need not worry at all while deleting this folder, as it merely deletes your cache files.
Once you run Discord again, the whole process of caching will start again and another folder will be created in the same location again.
Fix 8: Re-install Discord
When all else fails, you can try reinstalling Discord and see if the screen share no audio issue gets solved that way.
Uninstalling an app on Windows is pretty simple. Just follow this process:
- Head to the Notification Panel of the taskbar and click All Settings.
- Select the Apps option.
3. There, type Discord in the search bar.
4. Once it shows in the selection, click it and choose the Uninstall option.
After the app is uninstalled from your computer, head to the official page of the program and download it again to see if the screen share no audio issue persists.
Fix 9: Temporarily disable antivirus
One more way to fix Discord screen share problem is by disabling your antivirus for a while.
This is a very unlikely reason for the Discord screen share audio issue to arise but it’s good to get it out of the way while you try out other methods.
And just in case the Discord screen share audio issue gets solved by this method, you have one more problem on your hands.
You can’t keep using your computer with your antivirus disabled all the time, can you?
We would suggest contacting the support channels of your antivirus and telling them about Discord’s screen sharing feature to get them to help you out.
Fix 10: Try another browser
There’s a reason we’ve placed this tip towards the end.
It almost rarely works.
If you’re using the latest versions of browsers like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, they really shouldn’t be responsible for the Discord screen share no audio issue.
But if all other fixes haven’t worked, do give this one a try.
Try installing another browser like Opera.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Does reinstalling audio drivers fix Discord screen share audio issue?
Audio drivers installed on Windows do have the possibility of getting corrupt over time, so reinstalling the audio drivers is a good way to start looking for a fix for the screen sharing feature.
Q. If you reset voice settings, will it fix Discord screen share?
Yes, if you reset voice settings, there is a good possibility that it will fix screen share audio error.
Q. Does Discord cost money?
The app is completely free to download and use. However, it does come with a paid Nitro version that lets you access premium features. Discord Nitro’s Classic version costs $5 per month or $50 per year and offers much-improved video quality while allowing you to live stream in 1080p at 60fps and screen share in either 720p at 60fps or 1080p at 30fps.
Q. Is Discord just for gamers?
Not at all. It is used as a community interaction platform by plenty of other demographics. Its most common users include those who run book clubs, dance classes, or digital conventions. Several teenagers have also started using Discord as a means of studying for classes to watching Netflix together.